Thursday, February 01, 2007

Let’s Be Religious: Biblical Perspectives On…VI

Jonah

Jonah was not a happy man. Jonah wouldn’t listen to God. A ship’s crew had to shake Jonah awake to get him to deliver God’s 40 day warning to Nineveh. Jonah didn’t think Nineveh deserved to be spared and he knew God wouldn’t see it that way.

After delivering God’s message Jonah left the city and found a place nearby to sit and watch what would happen. He was so angry he removed himself from the city, from the community. Jonah delivered his anonymous message and left. He did not get to enjoy the celebration when God spared the city.

Please, don’t be Jonah.

Some churches are saying the end is near. Some Christians think the end is near. Some people believe the end is near. Jonah was so angry he wanted to die. He was ready. “Take away my life for it is better for me to die than to live.” “It would be better for me to die than to live.” “I am angry enough to die.” I suspect it is this thinking that statements like this come from, “why the concern with the environment when it is evident the end times are near. The concern should not be in saving gas but in saving ourselves.”

God said to Jonah,
And should I not have concern for the great city Nineveh, in which there are more than a hundred and twenty thousand people who cannot tell their right hand from their left...
and also many animals?
Please, don’t be Jonah.

The truth is, It’s Really Just The Beginning.

mytzpyk is Michael Christensen, he lives, works, rides in Sioux Falls, SD.

His e-mail address is mytzpyk at yahoo dot com.

Anonymous commenting has been disabled.

---

After tomorrow’s offering you’ll be free to go.

5 comments:

Glanzer77 said...

That's funny it didn't feel like a half hour sermon!

What time to the offering bags get passed around today?

G

Snakebite said...

Dude, when I was reading your post and got toward the end where you starting making confessions I was starting to cringe. I wasn’t sure where you were going. “mytzpyk is….” “His email is…..” You started talking in the third person – never a good thing. I was hoping NOT to read, “He is coming out….(not that there is anything wrong with that)” “He is a crystal meth –odist (what religious drug addicts are)” or the WORST of all, “He is becoming a REPUBLICAN!” So – big WHEW!!! When you start talking in the third person my eyebrows go up and my nose moves closer to my screen. So, knock that stuff (look, I didn’t swear there, I chose “stuff” and not a different “s” word) off!!!

mytzpyk said...

mytzpyk thinks THAT is hilarious.

this single spark said...

Hey Michael,

My name's Catherine. I live, work and walk (too chicken/smart to ride in the winter... it's not the cold it's the drivers) in Brandon, MB. That's pretty much straight north of you, and little to the left.

Enjoying your preachin' and thanks for the link.

mytzpyk said...

Thank you BG. For the compliment and for linking to me first so I could ready your story.