Friday, November 03, 2006

Back On The Bus

I gave my bike trail jogger friend a break today. It was my turn for the The End Of Friday The Boy Pickup Duty so I parked and rode. I can’t remember the last time I was on a bus. Perhaps my summer trip to Minneapolis…sheesh, maybe that four hour bus ride poisoned me toward busses more than I realize. Turns out I still remember how to catch ‘em.

With just a few more days before the big vote the street corner political sign holders were out in force. It seemed a little more personal as I sat on the bus and observed from behind the big glass windows. It felt surprisingly different from being in a car, but I can’t put my finger on the exact reason.

Do the various campaigns reserve street corner time slots or is it first come first served?

On the way home the driver, while stopped at a red light, responded enthusiastically to a “honk if you’re for…” sign. Repeated honking and offering multiple thumbs up. I thought that was interesting. I didn’t see a sign on the bus stating the driver's opinion does not necessarily represent the City of Sioux Falls, Sioux Falls Transit, or the current bus passengers. I didn’t think about asking if I could have my own horn for which to cast my own street corner vote until now. Oh well, maybe next time.

The most mind bending sign I say today was “repeal the ban.” I think this might have been an overreach for a street corner. I was grateful to be on a bus without distraction to fully contextualize and interpret the sign.

I’m just saying.

No comments: