Sunday, May 14, 2006

My Non-existent Inner Gardener

Contains Apple Juice Concentrate from the U.S.A., Argentina, Austria, Chile, Germany and Turkey. – McDonalds Minute Maid Apple Juice

I’ve noticed a little more than usual the conversations taking place regarding food. My main interest in these stories is the large number of miles food travels to get in my grocery store.

A few weeks ago I was practicing the annual ritual of trimming the perennials, preparing them for a new season of growth. I began to realize caring for our plants, as tedious as it is, actually is a homeowner task that time has proven enjoyable.

I decided to expand the hobby.

Today The Family planted radishes, carrots, beans, peas, onions and tomatoes. In the ground. Intending them to grow. I guess this is what they used to do before curbside service. Maybe even before drive-thru. I don’t know for sure.

So far it seems remarkably easy. We put these little things on the ground, they call them seeds. Then we covered them with dirt. If all goes according to plan, in a few weeks and months they will magically transform into food. Edible. Healthy. Food. Miracle?

The Boy 8 and I are clear, McNuggets don’t grow in gardens. The Boy 4 is the vegetable eater. He’s probably in the best position out of all of us to recognize that garden vegetables taste better.

1 comment:

Eric A. said...

If you have any extra tomatos you won't want come harvest time. I will take them.