Thursday, May 11, 2006

Speaking of Faith: The Evolution of American Evangelicalism

I'm enjoying my week off. Are you?

I guess it's true. Evangelical leadership can evolve.

The website - here.

The mp3 - here.

The transcript - here.

I haven't heard, read or looked at anything. Yet.

Perhaps I'll hate it.

----

I didn't hate it.
"I think that there are evangelical Christian leaders who are taking a position on climate change today by saying, "Well, it doesn't matter. We don't care," not unlike our fathers who took a position on civil rights that said, "It doesn't matter. I don't care." And they discredited the gospel and themselves, and they had to apologize. And I dare say it won't be long before some of the evangelical leaders who have said, "Don't matter, don't care," that they'll have to apologize."
"...it's impossible to separate global hunger from global warming because the emission of, you know, seven billion metric tons of greenhouse gases annually is creating a warming effect, which is producing desertification in Africa...in not a long period of time, the fresh water available in sub-Saharan Africa is going to be gone, gone, and we are going to experience wars over water. Now, this is an awful thing to imagine. So loving your neighbor means doing something about that."

No comments: