Friday, July 14, 2006

Carbon

The Prairie Progressive hooked me up with an article this week. He said he couldn’t help but think of me. I told him he was just jealous that I drive a Hummer and he doesn’t. Then he sent me stuff from Bill Moyer’s Faith and Reason series. He’s good people.

First, the article – it’s a piece in the Guardian describing the Environmental Defence report, “Global Warming on the Road.” Apparently…
“Americans represent 5% of the world's population but drive almost a third of its cars, which in turn account for nearly half the carbon dioxide pumped out of exhaust pipes…”
“Between 1990 and 2001 the number of miles traveled on American shopping trips rose by 40%.”
Next – even when I drive, I don’t drive a Hummer.

Finally, Mary Gordon on Bill Moyer’s Faith and Reason…
“So it seems to me the only thing that stops me from going out and shooting people in Hummers is a religious belief that, even though I don't like them, they are sacred and valuable in the eyes of God. And that does stop me. Because I could really, you know, go out on quite a spree.”
Mytzpyk and The MinusCar Project do not advocate shooting people for any reason; neither do they advocate a faith or reason based on not liking people. However, they do find it very interesting that Hummers were discussed at all on Bill Moyer’s Faith and Reason show.

No comments: