Friday, July 07, 2006

It’s a Bloggy Blogg World

I spent part of the holiday weekend in Minneapolis. I had a ticket to Ministry at The Quest but I was late so I missed it.

I stayed at "life of the runion family" (blog). First I hooked up with "the Transit Librarian" (blog) in his office. I visited "Hiawatha Cyclery" (blog) and met "Oil is for sissies" (blog). Shop customer "a flower called nowhere" (blog) was there too. Following that I met the "Lovely and Amazing" (blog) fiancé of the Transit Librarian and got a quick tour of "This Old (Minneapolis) House" (blog). I didn’t get much time with them but they gave me a sweet tip to get me to the Varsity Theater for Rob Bell’s Everything is Spiritual Tour.

At the theater I amazingly bumped into a friend from college so I invited myself into his group which ultimately had me dining with a group of people I’d never met before in Dinkytown. That was very fun, they were very smart people and it’s been a long time since I’ve been in a group where my mundane middle class existence was unusual.

Except for a ride back to base after dinner, and a ride home when I returned to hometown, I made the entire trip by bus. It felt sort of like a scavenger hunt and much of the trip was about riding the bus. With all the wait time I managed to start and finish the book "Bono: In Conversation with Michka Assayas."

Riding the interstate bus reminded me a lot of high school trips except the passengers seem old enough to weigh consequences and still logically choose violence. The ride to The Cities included the driver requesting the passengers in the back of the bus to be quiet for the announcements (“That’s just rude.”), yes teacher. The ride back included a little argument between one especially loud guy in the back and the rest of the bus over…yes…the air conditioner. The driver left the AC on and the rest of the passengers cuddled together in the front three rows for warmth. In the driver’s defense, I was as accommodating to the loud chain smoking guy with the tracheotomy as I could be too.

No comments: