Saturday, July 29, 2006

T-Shirt #5

CP (no not THAT CP) in Sioux Falls -

I would like a shirt because I believe in the project. I advocate the three R’s – reduce, reuse, recycle. Most people who know me know I am not a fan of politicians on either side of the aisle. I know they are tied to close to Big Oil and if we were to wait for them to do anything about global warming, we’d burn up.

I have adapted the bike lifestyle. I enjoy riding for the pure pleasure of it, I enjoy racing, riding with the local club, and I enjoy doing it as a replacement for driving. I commute to and from work every day. It’s a 22 mile round trip – approximately. I enjoy biking to the Starbucks of my choice, magazines in hand, on a weekend morning, to sit and read and have some java.

I am an active person. I lead a healthy lifestyle. I try to eat in a very healthy way and I love to exercise. Riding bike in lieu of driving is another way I can be exercising. On some days I take the hilly route to work. I do this because it is harder to do. I like to hammer hard to work and see how quickly I can make 11 miles.

A part of me, and the minus car project, makes me nervous. I find myself seriously thinking of not parking the car for a year, but actually selling the car. Since necessity is the Mother of invention it would require I learn to live the bike. I know I could do it. On the extreme rain days or blizzard days I could either take the bus or catch a cab. On the occasions on which I REALLY needed a car I would rent one. No more car payment and no more insurance to pay. More money in my wallet!

I embrace the minus car lifestyle. I encourage anyone who’ll listen to try it. It’s inexpensive, it’s fun, and is so good on so many levels. It’s putting Big Oil’s money in your own wallet. It is a very healthy thing to do. And, it is so much fun!

No comments: