Friday, September 04, 2009

090903 – 1Sky

Woke up to wery wet weather this morning. I caved, gave in, failed to resist. I drove to work. Alone. That meant at the end of the day, I would be driving home. Alone. The good news here is The MinusCar Car still works.

Today's Transport -
Bike: 14.8
Single-occupant auto: 11.7

--

I’ve noticed lately that I’ve got a surprisingly long list of 70 year old men I greatly admire. I might be getting old but hopefully it can - in part - be attributed to some of the most radical thoughts I hear now come from these men.

Today it was with great pleasure that as I listened to a podcast of Quaker Teacher Parker Palmer he mentioned loving Jewish Buddhist Leonard Cohen’s music. One of the most amazing evenings I’ll remember occurred in May as I basked in Cohen’s poetry and music in the Orpheum Theater in Minneapolis. Palmer quoted Anthem:

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.

--

I did manage to fit in a ride to downtown in this evening.

1Sky badge #2 transparent background


Because I author a nationally famous bicycle blog* a very important person contacted me. Zachary from 1Sky is in town. He’s here specifically to find ways to encourage people to be supportive of the climate bill currently in Congress.

I, at somewhat cross purposes, wanted to sit a guy like him down in a strange venue in an unfamiliar town which would enable me, an unfamiliar person, to pepper him with questions about what it’s like to live the sort of live he does.

So we set a meeting.

Snakebite agreed that sitting for an hour at Monk’s House of Ale Repute was worth doing most anytime for most any reason. He and his lovely wife joined the conversation.

It was a fine meeting. 1Sky imagines (correctly) the globe shares one sky. 1Sky imagines (correctly) the globe shares one future.

1Sky imagines right now, with a bill approved in the House and moving through the Senate, is this nation’s best and perhaps only chance to see federal legislation that offers true leadership to the globe for future sustainability and adjustment to current data regarding climate change.

So yeah, I added my name and signature to the list of names and signatures that 1Sky will show to Senator Johnson to indicate South Dakota citizen are supportive of the current climate bill in US Congress.

--

*I know The MinusCar Project is nationally famous bike blog because when I search Google for “bikers suck” The MinusCar Project blog is second to the "Upset Waitress" in the results list.

3 comments:

SD_pedalpower said...

I would have loved to sat in on this. I promise, I would have kept my mouth shut and listened and learned :)

mytzpyk said...

I'll remember you for stuff like this.

Unknown said...

It was great meeting you Michael. If anyone is interested in learning more about what I am doing with 1Sky in Sioux Falls, you can reach me at zachary@greencorps.org.