Thursday, September 24, 2009

090924 – I Get Wet

Today’s Transport –
Walk: 1.6
Bike: 17.0

It was sprinkling when I left today. It was raining by the time I arrived at work. As is customary, I got wet. Remarkably, later, I dried. Cool!

--

I had a conversation with a guy today. He was curious about my perspective on census data that indicates a general drop in folks driving to work alone but a slight rise in South Dakota. I asked about North Dakota, Montana and Idaho apparently showing a decrease, although not as sharp as the general trend.

I offered some theories but quickly turned the conversation to bicycles. I mentioned the three people I know that parked their cars and began riding to work. I mentioned the 50-ish folks that have been participating in Snakebite’s Bike To Work Challenge since mid-May.

Then I mentioned the social aspects of carpooling. That surprised him. It sounded like it was a new concept for him. I love it when that happens. I should have talked of the beauty of those few perfect moments alone with The Wife as I car pool with her. Maybe even the social reinforcements of a car full of sweaty middle aged men talking about what Glenn Beck did on their TV the previous night.

Hmmm…

I can call them sweaty middle aged men, I am one.

Anyway, we’ll see how the conversation plays when it’s in the paper.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I managed to miss the rain, but I carried the umbrella just to be safe. I honestly wish it had rained, might have cut down on the humidity/cooled it down.

Josh

mytzpyk said...

I need a compact umbrella that fits in my messenger bag. It would be very nice to be able to switch to walking/bussing with an umbrella.