Wednesday, October 26, 2005

A Civil Exchange

I used this service to have a dialog with city officials this week.

Me:

I commute to work by bicycle. I have been since June. My intent is to continue this bicycle commute through winter. I live on the ##### side of town and work in the ##### part of town. I use the bike trail at ##### and ride that and the dike (##### ) to cross the river at the ##### bridge. I then use the bike trail between ##### and the #####.

As the temperatures get colder I become more and more interested to know if there is a bike trail snow clearing policy or directive. I'm also interested to know if I'll be lucky enough that the dike between ##### and ##### will be cleared.

I'd be very appreciative if you address these concerns. Thank you.

Them:

The Parks & Recreation Department does clear the bike trail of snow during the winter. However, during a snow event I have to send my park employees to the Street Department to assist with snow removal of city streets. The bike trail is the last area of the park system to have snow removed and it could be days before we are able to get to this task depending on how long my employees are assigned to the Street Department.

We do not remove any of the snow on the levee on the westside of the river between ##### and ##### street.

Sincerely,
#####
Park Operations Manager
##### Parks & Recreation Department

##### - specific route details have been omitted. The Internets are dangerous places.

1 comment:

Eric A. said...

At least they have some form of plan.
Perhaps they will get around to paving that part from ##### to ##### on the #### side.