Sunday, March 04, 2007

I'm Fast

“Fasting – to abstain from food.” February I fasted from blogging.

“You can’t fast from blogging. Fasting is about food. Fasting has been about food for thousands of years.”

Fasting is a form of asceticism – “rigorous self-denial; extreme abstinence; austerity.” And maybe the desert fathers and mothers in essay 2.7 knew a thing or two that I wish I could know today.

I didn’t blog. I didn’t listen to as many podcasts. I didn’t bike.

“That’s hardly rigorous self-denial!” True. But what didn’t you do in February?

I also practiced Sabbath. Sunday. Did nothing. Another form of fasting.

The point of fasting? It makes space. It doesn’t have to be religious.

Sunday is a reading day now. Sunday night has become game night. The Boy 5 continues to dominate dominoes.

“Saturday, Donny, is Shabbos, the Jewish day of rest. That means that I don't work, I don't get in a car, I don't fucking ride in a car, I don't pick up the phone, I don't turn on the oven, and I sure as shit don't fucking roll! Shomer shabbos!” – Walter Sobchak

---

Turns out it’s true. Dobson did try to get Cizik fired. He’s trying again this week. Enjoy. Lent.

---

In better news, the Globe Squatters blog is the story of two people as they leave home (Tasmania) and explore the globe. Why?
"Well, we have found ourselves in the routine of working, paying off our mortgage and general busyness - leaving little time for the things we consider important. We realised we were in need of a change of pace. So after many ideas, thoughts and dreams we hatched a plan to head overseas on a working holiday, hoping for more holiday than working!"

2 comments:

Two Wheels at a time said...

don't fast from "The Dude"

The Old Bag said...

If only the so-called experts weren't so educated and dedicated to their fields! They might then be privy to those same truths with which conservative Christians are endowed

...wish I knew more than leading scientists, doctors and researchers....

Go Walter.