Thursday, February 05, 2009

Another Sign Of Victory...

Alert and thoughtful MinusCar reader Tim pointed me to this - "Record number of riders uses Sioux Falls Transit" - article from yesterday's Local Daily. I hope the writers had at least a nice long conversation over the grammatical correctness of the headline.

Seems local transit ridership was up 7.65% compared to 2007. Over the lifetime of The MinusCar Project ridership has increased 26.56%. That's strange, I did not realize my share of rides made that big of difference.

"Ridership" reached 1,000,000 presumably for the first time ever. They awarded the 1,000,000th rider with free rides for a year and maybe a cake. The 1,000,000th rider's name?

Verlyn Beerman. I'm not making this up.

1 comment:

db said...

It's grammatically correct. The subject is "number", which is singular, and the singular verb is "uses". "Riders" is the object of a prepositional phrase and thus should have no bearing on the verb.