Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Postcards From The Edge



Turns out I'm on the good guy list. I got a postcard from the Lunatic Biker yesterday. Thanks Ray!

I can't believe you boys up there in Minneapolis are rolling through stop signs and red lights again. On TV even!

In my city it's the cars that don't stop. You know it's true because we've got cameras flashing pictures at an intersection trying to catch 'em. More than 5,000 got surprised with a postcard from The City last year. Almost 20 a day in July alone.

The day I get ticketed for going through a red light that doesn't sense my bicycle is the day I start asking the courts whether the operator of my vehicle has the right to expect working traffic controls. "Every person driving a bicycle shall have all of the rights and all the duties applicable to the driver of any other vehicle by this Code…" It's the law.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

In Minnesota there is also a law stating that if your vehicle does not trigger the sensor on a stop light you have the right to go through when safe. You have to wait a couple cycles first though.

Our scooters, like bicycles, don't always trigger the sensors.