Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Walmartians

This morning as I patiently poked my way through a handful of Walmartians and other parking lot pedestrians I waited as an 82-year-old man made his way across my path. I use the mile+ virtually uninterrupted sea of asphalt as a frontage road to avoid the generally unavoidable busiest intersection in the state. A few feet behind him, his 78-year-old wife locked the car and turned to see me.

Up came the thumb and out came “way to go.”

Funny. I dont' know why I never connect with people like that when I’m in a car.

I will smile for the remainder of the day.

3 comments:

Snakebite said...

How did you know how old they were? Did you demand to see their ID's or did you derby them down and just take 'em?

Tell Todd said...

Nice story. But while driving down to Kansas on I-29, a Ford Explorer passed me. The college aged girls had seen my Obama stickers on my car and were giving me thumbs up and yelling "Obama Rocks" as they drove by. They too had an Obama sticker on their back bumper. So, these "moments" can also happen where internal combustion engines are involved.

Todd Epp
SD Watch http://www.southdakotawatch.net

SiouxGeonz said...

I wanna know how you know their ages, too :-)