Friday, May 27, 2005

Water: In a Jug & From the Sky

Friday’s transportation needs included picking up the boys at daycare. I’m hoping to figure out how to do this without using a car, but for this Friday, so early on in the project, I needed the car. I was able to put the car in the park and ride the bus to work. I got an hour of bike time in on the way home, which included dropping the heavy back pack off downtown in the wife’s car.

I mentioned earlier that I supply water to my team at work. I took advantage of the car trip to the park by transporting a 5-gallon jug of water to my stop; I don’t think there’s any way to do this by bicycle. This is a big problem. I hate to start my car just for water…after all there are taps at work. I hate to stop bringing water to work…after part of the team’s aura is the whole bean coffee and the bottled water. Vanity, vanity, all is vanity, but I’m not telling that to the two VP’s that drink our coffee. Time will tell what happens, but bringing water on Friday delayed the problem for a few days at least.

I walked for lunch. It was lightly raining when I left…but I left anyway. It was not so lightly raining when I returned. I got embarrassingly wet. I’ll make a better choice next time.

There were a few glitches that need ironing out. I carried a water bottle in the backpack for the bike ride home. At ride time I realized the bike didn’t have a cage for the bottle. I dropped the heavy backpack off in my wife’s car downtown. In that pack was my purse/man bag/clutch that I had to leave behind because I forgot to bring other means to carry it. Also in the backpack I left my car rack keys and my house keys which should have been disastrous except for my/our penchant for leaving things unlocked.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Re: carrying water jugs, would an Xtracycle work for you?

http://www.xtracycle.com