Monday, October 13, 2008

The 3.5 Day Weekend That Was

My weekend started Thursday when my boss advised us, if we have vacation use it now because we probably won’t get to use it in December.

Can I have tomorrow off?

Thursday evening I briefly attended The City’s Railway Relocation Project Open House. It seems to me that if there’s a chance of abandonment of some city railways a bicycle type person might want to be in the right place at the right time to suggest a use for those abandoned tracks; or at least show interest. There isn’t a chance – at least not in this project; as far as you know.

Friday I actually worked half a day because really, why in the world would I want to display to my employer that my presence at work isn’t necessary?

Friday afternoon I joined with The Owner and a couple city types. We modeled for a camera on road bicycle facility use for some PSA’s that should be coming out yet this fall.

Friday evening I celebrated the 125th anniversary of the University of Sioux Falls. I attended the banquet which proved to be more desirous of 1960’s graduates than 1990’s graduates. Post banquet I celebrated my 20th year friendship with The TransitLibrarian. We spent 4 hours at Monk’s House of Ale Repute. Beautiful times.

Saturday was the FAB Annual Meeting. We rode south of town to the Country Apple Orchard which gave me a great idea for the upcoming bicycle planning process of the Southeastern Council of Governments. How about designated bicycle ways out of town and connecting the towns represented in the council? Even if it simply means adding six more inches to the right of the white line!

FAB board elections occurred. I’ll be treasurer for another year – which is my final year of that due to term limits. The Club replaced four members which beats the pants of the seven replaced last year. This should put FAB in a little better position for year three.

Sunday – some family time.

Monday I used my LBS 2008 reward money to purchase the Blackburn System x8 bike lighting system. Here’s hoping new lights will chase away my frustration with my current lighting systems.

Today I finished reading “Jesus Wants To Save Christians: A Manifesto For The Church In Exile.”

I searched for “Jesus For President: Politics For Ordinary Radicals” and “The Wordy Shipmates” on eReader. I found “Traffic: Why We Drive The Way We Do (And What It Says About Us).” So I’m reading that now.

Remember my theory that the automobile is actually a time machine? It’s right there in the Prologue:
“Traffic is an in between time in which we are more likely to think about where we are going than where we are at the moment. Time and Space are skewed in traffic…”
and by way of introduction:
“That ‘surrealistic’ side of traffic will be the focus of this book. I began my research with the intention of stopping to take a look around at an environment that has become so familiar we no longer see it; I wanted to slow down for a moment and think about what’s going on out there as we drive, walk, cycle, or find some other way to get around.”

1 comment:

Unknown said...

The clubfab.org website leads to spyware that tries to install itself.