Monday, August 24, 2009

090824 - Seemingly Unrelated.

First and most important is the Shape Sioux Falls 2035 Comprehensive Plan Open House is tomorrow (Tuesday) from 4 to 6pm at the downtown Orpheum Theater.

When I look around the city and wonder how it is that we ended up with the transportation structure we have now - I know the answer. 25 years ago a group like Shape Sioux Falls got together and thought it would be a good idea to make arterial roads every mile and then roads that go nowhere inside each square mile.

Tomorrow is another time for me to see what my generation’s Shape Sioux Falls is doing and see if I have any of my own suggestions.

--

This weekend was the downtown criterium. I volunteered all day with CycleSD keeping confused motorists and indifferent pedestrians generally out of the way of the racing action at 6th & Phillips. I have no idea who won the races but I saw a lot of left turning and certainly enjoyed myself.



--

Seemingly unrelated – I can’t wait for my next visit to Pickle Barrel.

--

At the race I caught up with a The MinusCar Project reader. She and her husband are in their 6th year of car free living. She's pregnant. They were looking at a car purchase but began to wonder if they weren't shopping for something now that they really won't need for another five years. Car shopping is on hold.

--

Today’s transport –
Bike: 0
Walk: 1.3
Bus: 4.6
Multi-occupant auto: 6.5
Single-occupant auto: 3.1

--

The Reverend Billy Talen from the Church of Stop Shopping is running for NYC mayor. He’s secured the 18,000 signatures required for placement on the ballot. Vote Rev Billy!

--

Finally, I saw this on the Urbana-Champaign Cycling Ventures blog. And I liked it. And I put it here.

No comments: