Monday, April 04, 2011

It's April!

It's clear that winter is in the rear view mirror.

It's important to keep reminding myself there are two months of cold and rain ahead.

I rode my bike a little bit today. Drove some and walked some too.



A few weeks ago I spent 2 hours sitting at a table in the bowels of City Hall with a police attorney, a police officer, a traffic engineer and a planner. Good times. I only disappointed myself once - and I was never officially arrested.

A hot steaming fresh Draft Rapid City Area Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan is now available. I've been anxiously awaiting it's arrival for a few months now. Consulting on the plan were Alta Planning & Design - a leading international bike and pedestrian planning organization.

Is that 18 miles of shared & signed roadways? If a tree falls on a bike plan in the middle of the Black Hills National Forest and the cyclists in the community give a collective "meh", does it matter that the plan ever existed?

Wouldn't it be cool if Rapid City - already with all the singletrack in the world - created national level urban cycling infrastructure?

No comments: