Friday, July 31, 2009

I'll Be The Roundabout

Soon The City will have it's second roundabout. The first is in the northwest part of the city on Career Ave near University Center. The second is planned for '09 & '10 construction at the convergence of 69th @ Southeastern.

I caught up on the "How We Drive" blog and found two contrasting videos. Enjoy.



Cyclists - do you remain alert when stopped at red lights? Imagine being one of the pedestrians in the picture.



Don't be too fooled. The roundabout is clearly not playing in real time. Obviously there is no crash in the roundabout BUT - crashes in roundabouts tend to be angular, reducing the amount of damage and the likelyhood of injury and death.

Roundabouts - learn them - enjoy them - ask for more of them. Please.

6 comments:

Snakebite said...

I'd like to see round-a-bouts just everywhere there's a traffic light intersection.

So, who shall I prod to get more? Inquiring minds want to know.

mytzpyk said...

I suggest...

First, experience them.

Second, be able to describe the beauty of them.

Third, feedback to city planning and traffic engineering (public works).

Feedback can be deposited here - http://www.siouxfalls.org/your_service - in the "Making Reports to the city."

Fourth, tell your friends.

Snakebite said...

1st - I have. In other states and England

2nd - Wax poetic? Sweet!

3rd - Will do.

4th - OK.

Garrett said...

There is nothing better than a round-a-bout in a car, especially in Europe where people are used to them.

In the States, on a bike where cars don't know what to do; round-a-bouts can be a bit scary. I do still prefer them though

Eric A. said...

Roundabouts are nice.
My only concern is how the drivers in SD will react to them when they take them to fast in the winter.
I use the one on the NW side of town about 4 to 5 days a week. I have also experienced them in Ireland where you take them clockwise.
It was fun.

Road Legs said...

I just keep going around and around
In Lincoln NE aroundabout are made so Fire trucks can up the side of them