Thursday, August 04, 2005

Walking & LJSSGTM

I hooked up with The Wife for lunch today. I walked toward downtown hoping to be intercepted by a bus. 1 mile later, two blocks from my destination one caught up with me, too late to be useful.

Interesting, MapQuest reveals the distance from work to meet The Wife and work to the LBS are within .02 miles, in mirror image opposite directions.

I observed a stroller locked to a bus stop bench with a bike lock. Hopefully the passenger realizes strollers are allowed on the bus and the stroller was still in one piece when they returned.

As I walked I thought about tracking statistics for drivers who block sidewalks while exiting parking lots only to reverse back into the parking lot when they realize they’re not going to be able to enter the street before blocking an oncoming pedestrian. By the end of the walk I realized there’d be too many to count. The experience causes me to contemplate which activity I perceive to be more dangerous: cycling on the road or walking on the road (sidewalk). I’m often tempted to climb in and out through the car’s back doors instead of walking around it.

We ate at Long John Silver’s. It’s been a lot of years since I’d done that. I’m amazed that LJS survived Hardee’s. A quick survey at work revealed 90% had never partaken of the LJS deep fried goodness (by goodness I mean not very goodness at all), and 10% may have eaten there maybe once in the last 10 years. Their website reveals in 2002 they became friends with some pretty deep pockets. Deep enough I suppose to carry them through to the next lenten season.

It will be another 10 years before I eat there again.

3 comments:

kterveen said...

Another 10 years?! Dude, I do the LJS once a year, whether I want to or not. There is something about that "goodness" that is strangely compelling. Can't .. help .. self. Must .. eat .. battered .. product.

Unknown said...

CJ and I had one of our first dates at LJS in the Mall of America. If that isn't class, I don't know what is.

Anonymous said...

I saw the stroller. It was still there today.