Thursday, June 09, 2005

The Promise of Severe Weather

Tuesday the National Weather Service was calling for Severe Weather developing in the late afternoon including the possibility of tornadoes. I suppose data exists that suggests I’m more likely to be killed by lightening than to be killed by a tornado, but I’m more worried about serious injury, so I’ll keep my unhealthy fear of tornadoes thanks.

Rain was also expected in the morning so I chose to put into practice what I had learned from the previous Friday. I drove to my local grocery store and staked out a nice view of the bus route and parked my mobile bus shelter for the day. While I waited I purchased a copy of the local daily and a latte. I was set.

I learned a few things:

1. The mobile bus stop idea works.

2. Previously I never had time to read the daily. Now I can read it on the bus. I have since re-subscribed.

3. This is a way I can handle the office water problem…maybe have the wife drop me at the store on her way to work, or drive the 2 miles myself if I must. Problem resolved.

I also learned that I might want increase my risk with the weather. Yes it rained slightly but not too much as I waited in the morning, and by the end of the day the NWS had lessened the predicted severity and delayed the start time of the evening weather event. It arrived at 1:30am the next day. I could have been home by then easily.

No comments: